Providence Women’s College, Calicut, Kerala, founded by the sisters of Apostolic Carmel came into being on 1st July, 1952. It was the sacred mission of Mother Veronica the foundress of the congregation to train young women who had embraced religious life and send them far and wide on vocations of service to the community. Providence Women’s College was the result of the efforts of such a committed group, headed by Mother Gabrielle, who became the Founder Principal. This was a dream come true for the young women in the Malabar region who had to otherwise go as far as Mangalore or Madras in search of a women’s college. Thus this college opened a new chapter in the annals of Malabar, as its first women’s college. The college is registered under the Apostolic Carmel Education Society, S No.4 of 1957, Calicut. The Managing Governing Body includes the Provincial Superior, Educational Secretary, the Principal, the Local Manager, a representative of the management and a religious staff nominated by the Provincial Superior.
The college was first affiliated to the Madras University. Later the affiliation was shifted to the Kerala University and University of Calicut successively. Over these years the college has been aiming at excellence in curricular as well as extra - curricular fields by setting high standards in academics and offering opportunities for youth to blossom into independent, confident and responsible individuals.
The college has given due importance to extracurricular activities. Ample opportunities are given for expressing the talents of the students in creative writing, oratory, histrionics, dance and fine arts. Providence College has been the recipient of Best Women’s College for many years. Trophy in the Arts at inter-zonal levels for participation both at the zonal and inter-zonal levels. The students are encouraged to appreciate the rich cultural traditions not only of their home state but of the rest of the country.
The motto of the college is “In Thy Light We see Light”. Every student of Providence Women’s College will go out into the world bearing this light of knowledge and self - realization.
“Providence can provide, Providence did provide, Providence will provide”.
Vision & Mission
The Apostolic Carmel, founded, by Mother Mary Veronica in 1868, offers the service of value based higher education to youth through academic pursuit for excellence, community service and empowerment of women.
The educational mission of the congregation is directed towards the total development of the person and instilling Gospel values in the students and forming responsible citizens of the country who will contribute to the transformation of the world in Christ. The special focus is on the formation of committed Christians who are filled with a sense of mission to their country and to the world.
The Cross :
Stands for the Supreme sacrifice of Jesus Christ that will urge the students to realize themselves through selfless service
‘Stella Maris’ : Star of the Sea – Virgin Mary, the patroness of our college, with her purity and peace guides us across the uncharted sea of life.
Mount Carmel in Palestine has been the abode of many an ascetic like the prophet Elias who led an austere life of contemplation. The Apostolic Carmel is a religious family that traces its roots to Mt. Carmel and prophet Elias. Simple living and high thinking characterize the order.
Symbolizes the light of truth, justice, knowledge and love that dispels the darkness of ignorance from the seeker
Faith in God is the best anchor for the soul. It suffuses the spirit with such radiant sense of security and courage that we are no more afraid of the challenges raised by life.
The Palm Tree:
Epitomizes the human urge to rise above baser passions and attain spiritual heights. The coconut palm also stands for Kerala, God’s own country.
The Lotus :
Represents the rich cultural heritage of India and its national flower.
The College Motto :
‘In Thy Light We See Light’ In the core of the heart shines the light that God has lit the light of consciousness. Let us be fully awake inwardly so that we carry the light of God wherever we go.
Objectives of the college
True to its Motto, IN THY LIGHT WE SEE LIGHT, Providence Women’s College seeks to radiate the light of God’s Truth, Justice and Love through instruction and the atmosphere maintained by the co-operative effort of staff and students.
- To build up a community of staff and students committed to the common pursuit of moral, intellectual and academic excellence.
- To facilitate the personal growth of the staff and students.
- To inspire Catholic students to live up to their full Christian commitment.
- To train students in creative thinking, accuracy of expression and develop in them leadership qualities.
- To help our young women to face the challenge of the times drawing inspiration from our cultural heritage and traditions.
- To make students aware of their role in the family and society, and thereby to inspire them to work for the uplift of women and children in our neighbourhood.
- To become instruments of social change and a force for integration among linguistic, religious and caste groups
|Mother M Gabrielle A.C.
|Mother M Carmelita A.C.
|Mother M Benedicta A.C.
|Sister M Edburga .A.C.
|Sister M Geralda. A.C.
|Sister M Carmilla A.C.
|Sister M Suman. A.C.
|Dr.(Sister) M Ancilla. A.C.
Prayer to Providence
Providence can provide,
Providence did provide,
Providence will provide
O most merciful and all Provident God,
Hear our prayers and
Grant our petitions
Jayasi Jayasi Deva
Divya Prema rasam
Kshalalya sakala bhuvam
Pravipataya gana thimiram
Doori kuru jana duritham
Thava narthana mriduranitham
Na shravaya sathatha shubham.
1952- Mother Gabrielle founded the college
1977 – SILVER JUBILEE
2002 – GOLDEN JUBILEE
2004 – Accredited by NAAC with B++
Introduction of New Courses
1955 - Two year B.A. Course of Madras University.
1956 - Pre-University course.
1957 - Three year degree course in B.A. Economics & History (Double Main) and
1958 - Affiliation shifted from Madras University to Kerala University.
1958 - B.Sc Chemistry.
1964 - Pre degree course.
1966 - B.Sc Botany.
1972 - B.Sc Physics.
1973 - Bifurcation of B.A. Double Main into B.A. History and B.A Economics
1979 - B.Com.
1980 - B.A.English.
1981 - B.Sc Mathematics.
1998 - M.Sc Physics. (The first Post Graduate Course)
1999 - M.A.English
2000 - Delinking of Pre degree course.
2000 – Centre for B.Sc.I.T. (University of Calicut)
2002 – Self-financing courses (B.Sc.Computer Science & BBA)
2005 – B.A.Travel & Tourism Management
1952 Providence Women’s College started functioning in the Providence School building with 67 students, seven staff members and Mother Gabrielle as Principal.
1954 Foundation stone land for the college building atop Florican Hill by Sri.Prakasa, Governor of Madras
1955 Blessing of the new building.
1955 Foundation stone for Auditorium (Present Arts Block) was laid.
1956 Pierce Leslie company’s bungalow became the Convent home.
1956 Hostel I - Opened
1966 Arts Block (presently the office block) and Library came into being.
1968 Hostel II started functioning
1968 Additional wings were added to the Chemistry and Botany laboratories.
1970 College Chapel blessed
1971 The Canteen became functional.
1973 The Indoor Stadium opened.
1976 Carmel Welfare Centre started
1981 The Silver Jubilee Auditorium came up.
1981 Hostel III Opened
1987 Extension Counter of the Catholic Syrian Bank started functioning.
1988 U.G.C. Extension Centre added to the Arts Block
1996 A new library block took shape.
2003 Renovation of the Workshop
2005 B.Ed. College
2006 Mother Veronica Seminar Hall & Reading Room, Multimedia Lab
2007 Audio Visual Room
Purchase of land, 80 cents, adjacent to the college.